Monday, August 18, 2003

Now in Florida

So I'm finally able to access a computer to add another entry. I am now moved into my place in Florida. It is in Cape Canaveral, which is just north of Cocoa Beach and 40min east of Orlando. My condo is unfurnished, which can be depressing at times. It's a 5 minute walk to the Atlantic Ocean. Just last night, I enjoyed one of the most beautiful sites that I have seen in a while: a clear sky on the beach where stars were not shy to show themselves.

I've had some things to say since I last posted an entry. I've been keeping my thoughts the old fashion way until I could get on the internet and post them.

First off, the family vacation went very well. We all enjoyed ourselves at Cocoa Beach, Disney's Typhoon Lagoon, Universal Studios, and Universal's Islands of Adventure. Initially we tried to go to Tampa to visit the beach (on the opposite side of Florida from Cocoa Beach) but it was raining cats and dogs that day, so we moved to Orlando where we stayed in a hotel for the rest of the week. Our vacation ended Thursday when I drove from Orlando to Cape Canaveral and they returned to Louisville. I moved into my place Thursday morning.

When I initially moved in, I couldn't stop laughing because there was no furniture. I wasn't expecting any furniture, but seeing it in person made me laugh outloud for a long time. The reason I found it so funny was that it was almost sad that all that was in the "family room" was a phone book, a Patch Adams movie, and a piece of mail addressed to my future roommate, all sitting in a small pile in the middle. Ohh, also, there was a foldable camp chair in the corner. That was it. I walked into my room, nothing but the quiet hum of the airconditioner unit. I walked into my bathroom and there was nothing there as well, not even a shower curtain. Needless to say, I went to Wally World and purchased many things- specifically something to sit on. Now, do not be worried about my sleeping arrangements because I did, in fact, bring an air matress, which isn't that bad after my back got numb from the pain of sleeping on it.

I have also found saddness in the fact that I have so much time and really nothing to fill it up with. Here is a list of things that I have come up with, shoot me an e-mail if you can think of any thing else...

Swim in the pool, Read the many books that I brought, Go the beach and skimboard, Run, Cook meals, Do pushups, Practice guitar, and Sleep.

That's it. And that's supposed to fill 24 hours each day. If I do not find some sturcture in my days, I will fall into a slump of depression. I moved in August 14th and I don't start work till the 25th. So we'll see how it goes.

I've heard many stories about how there is always something going wrong in the neighborhood that I moved into. Not two days after I moved in, there are three cops parked in front of the condos looking for some robbers. I'll let you know of any more interesting stories.

I'll also be keeping track of what kinds of food that I eat, so that I can remember what I have fixed and so that you can get an idea of my eating habits, if you are interested.

I purposly left my computer at my parents house in KY, planning on buying a computer sometime in October. And yes, I have found out that living without TV, CD player, and Computer is impossible for me. All last semester, I would watch some TV show while I ate my meal, but now I just have to eat in silence. I've gotten used to listening to music while I read a book or do other things, but now I do it in silence. And having to walk 1 mile to the library to use the internet or any computer function is getting old. So the October date got moved back a few months to last Saturday. I must admit, I splurged on this one. I, in the history of buying computers, have never really splurged. I've always gotten the good deal off of ebay of a used computer part that was top-of-the-line last year, beacuse prices of computer parts are exponential as you get to the best parts. This time I didn't do that. All parts are brand new and when I get them and put them together, it will be faster than any retail computer. Here are the specs:

P4 2.4 GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, Video In/Out Video Card w/ TV Tuner, DVD Burner, 17" LCD Monitor, Digital Camera (I've needed one for a long time)

Looking at these specs, it doesn't seem that fast of a computer, but the details of the parts is what makes them fast:

800MHz bus for the processor means that the processor can recieve information twice as fast as other computers, Corsair RAM is Dual DDR which means theoretical double performance, HDDs have access time half that of standard HDDS which means theoretical double performance and SATA interface and are in striping RAID configuration which means another theoretical double performance increase, Radeon 9800 Pro Video Card with 128MB ram which is equal to most retail computers' system ram, Sony multi-burn technology allows multiple formats to be burned (DVD-R and DVD+R), LCD monitor that can handle up to 62 frames a second without blurring, and a nice 5.2 megapixel Sony Digital Camera with a 128MB memory stick.

Anyway, I'm excited to have this computer coming in. Once it is, I will be able to blog more often, listen to my music, watch TV, watch movies, and check e-mail as often as I like. It should be arriving sometime this week.


Have you ever had dreams that seem extremely real and are usually about the future (possibly insight as what is to come)? These are not wierd dreams that are wierd situations that you have no clue how you got in them, these are dreams that you keep dreaming because you want to find out what happens and even when you do wake up you keep thinking about the dream the entire day. Well, my first real dream occurred this past summer and was about the end of the world. As it happened, nuclear war killed the entire planet and as a result (you may think it to be arrogant) I went to heaven and the remaining of the dream was me searching for people I knew to see if I would get to spend enternity with them. Well, the other day I had another one that involved me getting married. This topic has been on my mind for quite sometime: when will I meet a girl that I can marry, when will I have time for a girl to get married to, when will I get married, will I get married? All these things keep running through my head and each time they do, I try to stop them by reminding myself that everything will work out. Even after that reminder, I still find myself wondering. The dream, however, was wonderful. I had such a sense of relief to finally had found my match and get to live the rest of my life with that person. (That is how we are made, to find our match...hence the cliche, "You complete me." It's true, your match will complete you and compliment you in all areas.)

That's all from here. My time on this library computer is running short.