Monday, August 25, 2003

First Day of Work

I received all of my computer parts on Thursday. Needless to say, my best friend Murphy also paid me a visit (he warns me that whenever something can go wrong, it will). You would think that whenever new things are bought, they would all work properly...that wasn't the case. I put the whole computer together when I received the rest of the parts and it booted correctly. When it came time to install windows, it kept crashing, so I knew that one of the pieces of hardware was broken, but didn't know what: it could be any piece of hardware in the computer because they were all new to me and I hadn't tested to see which pieces worked and what didn't. I supposed that I trusted the fact that new hardware should work. After about of a day and a half of testing and troubleshooting, I found out that one of my sticks of RAM is bad. I'm going to send it back to get it replace. I'm glad, however, that everything else works flawlessly. I can't complain that my computer boots up in less than 60 seconds after pressing the power button.

I began work today, so I'm excited about that. There is a lot of testing going on now, so I will be able to be involved with that; I hope to learn a lot this semester. It seems that nothing has changed since I left about 4 months ago. Even when I moved down here, it feels as if I never left, that everything is just as it was when I left it. That's one of the wierd things about moving between cities, it's an erie feeling that I have spent 4 months somewhere else totally different, but when I come back, it's all the same. It'll be the same when I return to school.

Last night, I got internet access on my new computer. It is dial-up, but I'm not complaining. On dial-up, I can do most of what I want to on the internet. It's only 10 dollars a month, so it shouldn't hender my budget too much. Also, I discovered that we have free cable service in our apartment. My computer allows me to watch TV and with the DVD player, movies. No more boredom for me!

With the new internet and a computer that finally works, you should be expecting more posts.