Monday, May 22, 2006

NASA Language

Over the past month, I've tried to listen with untrained ears to the sayings that are so common around here. I'm sure every workplace has their own unique language. Ours is no different. Aside from the mass amount of acronyms that fly around, here are some words that have special meanings:



offline: not in a meeting
"We'll talk this issue offline"

capture: to include
"We should capture that idea in the presentation."

folks: distant coworkers
"The safety folks agreed with the solution."

buy: to approve
"The quality engineers won't buy that step of the procedure."

paper: official document
"Where's the paper to justify that work."

rationale: justification or reason
"What's your rationale for stoping this task?"

interface: to work with
"My job requires me to interface with the Japanese."

redline: suggested change to a document
"Does anyone have any redlines?"

inputs: ideas to be submitted
"Give me your inputs by Friday."

mitigate: to reduce
"We must mitigate that risk."

wordsmith: look over a document for grammer and spelling
"After this, I'll wordsmith the procedure."

counter-part: analogous co-worker to your job of another organization
"I've given the updates to my counter-part."

1 comment:

lasoski said...

Some from the USACE:

flexing: to be taking one's biweekly day off, if on the Flex schedule.

"Shoot, you mean David's flexing today? I needed that markup by COB Tuesday."

(Flex schedules are as follows: 4 9-hour days and 1 8-hour day for Week 1, and 4 9-hour days Week 2, making 44 + 36 = 80 hours in 2 weeks)

to look at: to leave sitting on one's desk.

"I've looked at the calcs briefly, but I haven't gotten too deep into them. I'll get back to you on that by Friday."

to review: editing drawings or documents to a degree that is slightly greater than "looking at" them, but slightly less than actually editing them. Some people simply look through the documents until they find one or two mistakes, correct them and consider the entire drawing/document 'reviewed.'

"You already reviewed the Feasibility Report?!"

Yeah.

There's two punctuation changes on page 1. That's the only problem you had with the entire 200 page document?

Oh, why didn't you say you wanted me to edit the whole thing? I thought you just wanted me to review it...
"

===========================
I'm sure there are plenty others. And we could make probably 30 pages worth of acronyms between the 2 of us both working in federal agencies.