Friday, October 01, 2004

Why I am not picketing… Part 3

Infallible Doctrine...

If the church wasn’t corrupt when it discerned the Bible, then was all of its other teaching at that time still “in tact” as well? If not, maybe the Bible was also one of those corrupt teachings. How can we know for sure that the Bible is infallibly the Word of God? How can we be sure about any teachings?

Some Christians seem to be more agnostic than Christian by saying "No one knows the truth. No one will ever know the truth." I suppose that this comes from the Protestant’s inability to guarantee that their teaching is correct. How sad it is to not have that confidence in one’s church. Why did this confidence in a church’s teachings disappear? Did absolute confidence ever exist? I think that it did, and I think that it still does today. Somehow, the church of old infallibly defined the canon and, after that, lost its ability to answer faith questions infallibly. Why? I guess because it became corrupt along the line. My question is “When?” and “How?” did this happen.

I wholeheartedly disagree that "No one knows the truth. No one will ever know the truth." The Catholic Church is the only Christian church (that I know of) that has the confidence to say, "Yes, our teaching with regards to faith and morals is infallible. You can count on it!" For a church to claim that it has infallible doctrine sets off a red flag for me- either it’s true: their doctrine is infallible or it’s false: they are simply insane. My first impression is “What an awesome gift! The church that Jesus started provides undecided Christians with some answers: INFALLIBLY!” Ask the church anything, and she’ll give you a straight answer. If it’s in regards to faith or morals, then you can count on that teaching being truth. I truly enjoy having that trust in my church. I can actually take off my detective hat and listen; a freedom that allows me to take the teachings for more than a grain of salt.

But how is it possible to have infallible doctrine? If I infallibly believe that some fallible fishermen wrote infallible words on paper in an infallible book, then it’s not too hard for me to believe that a COUNCIL of some fallible theologians can write infallible doctrine. If you’re saying to yourself, infallible doctrine can’t be decided by fallible men, then ask yourself what in your life do you believe is infallible. If it’s the Bible, then how did that become infallible? By a council of fallible men infallibly deciding upon an infallible book that contained infallible writing from fallible fishermen. See, you may already believe in a church that can come together to form infallible decisions, you just don’t know it.

No comments: